is situated around the junction of what is now the A25 and
A227. This was the origin of the hamlet, an ideal spot for
wheelwrights, blacksmiths and inns. The Roman Military Way
Westward was the forerunner of the A25. Traders and merchandise
from Gravesend proceeding to Tonbridge and beyond were the
source of the A227 route.
name has had various spellings over the years - Barrow Green,
1575, 1587, Boroe Green 1594, Burrough Green, 1697, Burrow
Green, 1713.. The original parish of Wrotham was divided into
six boroughs, Town, Stansted, Nepicar, Winfield, Roughwaye
and Hale. It is thought that Borough Green was the site for
games and sports for the area, not a village green, but a
Red Lion, formerly the White Bear, has been traced back to
the 1500s. . The Black Horse, originally named the Bull, had
a landlord named William Walters.renamed the Black Horse in
the Enclosure Act of 1814 a sale of 15 acres of waste land
was held at the Bull Hotel in Wrotham in 1815. A William Williams
paid £60 for 2 acres, He subsequently built the Fox
Rock Public House is shown on the 1841 Tythe map, described
as a chapel, a building with a steeple and bell tower,
demolished in 1904 when Mr. A. Russell built the Laurels.
In the 1872 Register it is a beer house with Mary Cheeseman
in charge, so the premises opened between 1861-1872. Alas
in 1993 the site has gone to the developer.
Railway Hotel is much younger, built circa 1878. Henry
Simonds of Crouch House was the first owner followed by Style
and Winch Brewery. One of the stables was used for some years
as a mortuary by the Wrotham Urban D.C.
railway opened in 1874 as a single track and was doubled in
1882. The station had a goods yard, parcel offices, sidings
for sand and ragstone, hops and fruit. In addition there was
a wharf situated at the rear of the chestnut trees for tip-up
horse-drawn carts delivering stone from the Quarry.
Crow Hill Estate was built in 1919 , and council houses were
erected on Hill View in 1928, complete with gas lights and
double burner gas ring sets.
building known as the Old Manor House was listed as a much
restored sixteenth century Grade II farmhouse by Malling RDC.
On the 1841 Tythe Map it is indicated as two tenements, garden,
barn and orchard,
Tudor Cottage and the two houses behind are listed as Grade
II. Originally a farmhouse they stem from the Sixteenth Century.
Hunts Farmhouse is also listed as Grade II, Eighteenth Century.
Fourways House is Grade III, dated 1751. Whiffens Farmhouse
is a restored Sixteenth Century farmhouse and is listed as
Grade II, the large weather-boarded barn being Grade III.
listed is the Red Lion dating from the Nineteenth Century,
with an older plastered wing at the rear. (17th Century) The
adjacent cottages are listed as Grade II. The core of these
cottages is probably a framed structure from the Seventeenth
Century with the facade dating from the Eighteenth Century
House (Clokes/Bar K) was built circa 1887/1889 ,eventually
being bought by Messrs. R. L. and R. Cloke. The village owes
a lot to the Cloke Brothers, most importantly the existence
of our Fire Brigade. Robert served on the Parish Council for
forty years and worked hard behind the scenes for many village
stone quarries under various names provided much employment,
as did Basted Paper Mill.
Coronation Oak, the tree at the junction of Rock Road and
Quarry Hill was first planted here on 2 June 1897 to
commemorate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee.
Road was planned in 1877 on the sale of Yew Tree Farm.Tollgate
Estate was built in 1947-1948 and Fairfield Estate started
Road and Annetts Hall rose in 1958-1959, Roman Court some
30 years later in 1989.
View 1960,Woodlands 1960 - 1961,Lingfield Road + Ascot Close
1958, Sandy Ridge 1959
Farm 1985, Eaglestone Close and Tolsey Mead 1985
Green was divided between three church parishes: Ightham,
Wrotham and after 1843 Platt. The part belonging to Ightham
stopped at the junction of Rock Road and the A25 and included
everything on the west side of Rock Road. The Black Horse
Inn formed the boundary with Platt parish. All the rest of
the village was in Wrotham parish. It was not until 1976 that
Borough Green became a separate ecclesiastical parish.
cinema was built in 1912 by Mr. H. Gilbert. It had a gas engine
driving a generator.It was called the Electric Palace.
1956 a total of sixty-two people gave voluntary labour to
build the War Memorial Sports Pavillion on the Recreation
Ground. Special mention should be made of names to represent
all the volunteers: Harold Woodhams, Alfred Large, Dilla Higgins,
Bill Broadmore and Frank Griggs. It represents the thanks
of those who returned safely and serves to remind us of those
who gave their lives in two world wars.
Green has many things in its favour, among them a primary
school, nursery schools, School Parents Associations, Sunday
School, Guides, Rangers, Venture Scouts, Cub Scouts,
Brownies, Football, Cricket and Tennis clubs, British Red
Cross, Borodara,Basted Mill, library, Women's Institutes,
Keep Fit, British Legion, Parish Council, Woodvale Dancing,
Borograds, Age Concern, Lunch Clubs, WRVS, Christmas lights,
and lastly, Ballet, Bowls and Badminton. Missing from the
list? ... A BYPASS!
"potted history" of Borough Green is extracted from the book
"Past & Present" written by the late Frank Bangay, and
reproduced here by kind permission of his son,Ian. To access
the full book with all it's pictures, and many other historical
pictures of Borough Green.